SOCIAL MEDIA


Working in the Vegetable Garden

Thursday, November 10, 2011

I have completed the fall work in the garden this week. The most time consuming task is putting compost on all the beds.  I have shoveled many wheelbarrows of well composted manure onto the top of the raised beds.  The long term weather forecast is for another long, wet winter and spring...that means that moving compost in the spring will be a difficult task. The beds will be ready to go next spring. I have changed to this type of raised bed, and I recommend this to most people.  My long term goal is to have a no till garden. The raised beds are not walked on, and are easy to care for. They are very well drained, warm up early, and are highly productive. I use black soaker hoses in the garden,  and never use an overhead sprinkler system. This watering method cuts down the weeding a great deal. I use other methods, plastic mulching rolls, floating row covers, small homemade individual greenhouses over the tomatoes.