SOCIAL MEDIA


Find of the Week - Texas Mason Canning or Fruit Jar

Wednesday, September 25, 2019
Texas quart fruit jar

My story is the interesting way that I acquired this vintage quart size
canning or fruit jar.

I took my glass recycling to the recycling center, and when I was there with my small amount of glass...guess what I saw?

Yep, right on top of a pile of glass were several canning jars, 7 to be exact. Well, I am always looking for glass canning jars for our honey business....so I thought, wow, this is great. They were dusty from storage somewhere. This one caught my eye...I have never saw anything like it. The jar said Mason, so I got it also.

At home, I put them into hot soapy water to soak. Later, I washed them and took a good look at this one. 

The bottom of this jar is embossed "Made in Texas by Texans". Hum...it is time to do some research on this oddity.

For a few years there was a Knox Glass bottle factory in Palestine Texas. They made this jar for about a year and a half, 1946-1947. 70+ years old!

Sadly, there is a tiny chip along the top edge...alas, now it will keep dry goods for storage.