SOCIAL MEDIA


Oregon on Fire....Will I Evacuate???

Friday, September 11, 2020


*********************

These fires are terrifying, they are gigantic....they are moving fast, and are deadly. There is one that is close enough to spot here at the farm.  There is no stopping one of these beasts. I have a very healthy respect for forest wildfire, and I know that this is extremely bad. This is real and I know it, and I have fear, and that is healthy to stay alive.

The electricity was off due to fire danger for 3 days. Three days in 100 degree heat is a problem. Trying to keep the food is #1 priority. Fortunately, we own a large Honda generator...so we can keep the freezer full of food pretty well. Then we have coolers with block ice for the refrigerator stuff cold. The garden was close to death.

A huge problem is communication...we have none here at the farm without electricity. Except that is not totally true, I have a DeWalt Radio that will operate with a DeWalt battery...I do get some information from that. Even so, I drive somewhere for cell phone service. 

This I know...that if my neighbors are not worried, and get ready to run on short notice...they are taking extreme chances with their lives.

This is real, this would destroy everything...all that will be left is foundation, chimney, asphalt driveway, and swimming pool.

I have my 4-Runner hitched to my little vintage trailer. Ready to leave at any time, with the pets. Almost everything is loaded, I have a tote beside the front door with important things in it...and a hand truck right outside, with the cat carrier.

Highway 58 is the highway that runs thru our little town...it is one of the 2 highways open to cross the state to central Oregon. Yesterday, I noticed a huge traffic increase with travel trailers heading over the mountains on highway 58...these are people who are evacuating from their homes in another part of Oregon...getting the heck out of here. This is very real for them. I pay attention. Where do I go? I think that I will join the exodus over the Cascade Mtns, and go toward the Oregon High Desert. Somewhere where there are no forests to burn.