SOCIAL MEDIA


Growing Garlic in My Garden

Tuesday, August 9, 2011
Garlic Scapes

Fresh Harvest

Dried Garlic
Today is a nice overcast day, and the garlic is ready to dig.  I have a 4' x 4' raised bed that I use for garlic. I don't need a larger area, there is plenty to harvest. These are not my photos, just some to show you.  I have been developing my unique garlic for several years. I started with some really nice large heads purchased from a local gardener. She had developed the variety at her garden over a long time period.  That was a great start, and then I used the best garlic heads for my fall planting. Do this for several years, and then you have a garlic that grows great in your location. No need to go out and purchase seed stock for your garden! I find that garlic is one of the easiest things to grow. Plant really good seed stock every October, keep it well weeded...and harvest. Note - there are a few more tips to growing it.


I think that the best books on the subject are Making Great Garlic Powder by Herrick C. Kimball  and a Storey Country Wisdom Bulletin Growing Great Garlic.
Storey Books