SOCIAL MEDIA


The Elk Herd

Tuesday, October 22, 2013


I know that this photo is a little difficult to see well. I am sorry, I was a little far for a good photo with my cell phone camera. There are about 100 +or- elk. I could see 3 large males, that survived the rifle season last week. This is right across the county road from our farm.

This herd was right beside the house last night, and let me tell you they can make a lot of noise. They talk to each other...especially the mothers and calves. A large male was bugling. A bugle is a strange very loud squawking,
whistle, screech, noise...it is hard to describe...The first time I heard it, about 35 years ago...I thought that it has a human scream...but not like a cougar scream.

I have to tell you that there are many more in the area around our farm....and they are destructive, and can eat all the grass in an entire pasture in one night....and destroy the fence to boot.

Oh, and we are having the best weather ever this month, 65 to 75 every day! It hasn't rained in 3 weeks!!!!!