SOCIAL MEDIA


Where have I been? Working in the Garden!

Saturday, February 21, 2015

The West Coast has been having a warm, dry winter. The spring bulbs are beginning to bloom, and the flowering plum. The lilac bushes are leafing out. I put out the hummingbird feeder today. I am hard at work...cleaning out the garden, trellising the Marion berries, cutting back plants, and today- cleaning out all the birdhouses. I am anticipating an early spring...all the plants seem to be about 6 weeks early. To me this means that the fruit trees will bloom very early...there may not be any bees to pollinate them...then there will be a hard frost, killing any possible baby fruit. I need to do much more, and am taking it one day at a time, one project at a time.  I expect the migratory birds to be back soon, hence the hummingbird food. I heard the wild Turkey's gobbling today, they must think that it will be time to start laying eggs. Friends who have hens say that they a laying really well. The newborn calves are running around together and playing in the green grass pastures. I am hoping that weather will turn to normal, and we will receive the normal wet spring.

My condolences to all of you having a long cold snowy winter. It has been terrible from what I see in the national news.