SOCIAL MEDIA


Vintage Wood Ironing Board

Monday, August 8, 2016


My story today is about the old wood ironing boards, the hard working women's torture. At least it is to me, envision a childhood spent ironing all the family clothes! I finally decided that I was done with that chore. The next 2 times I had to done the ironing...I ironed in so many wrinkles on purpose...well, I never had to iron the clothes again. I was smart. (Mother never knew. She though I was messy! My Dad probably complained...but I hated ironing those wrinkle prone cotton shirts weekly...and everything else.) I hate ironing, but do need to press sewing projects from time to time. My old metal one broke and the iron was a horrible mess....I took them to the dump one day...the end.  What joy that simple act gave me. I learned that there are ways to hang dry my things. I didn't have any way to press for a few years.

I came across a vintage wood one at the local antique store one day, it was nice and sturdy, and the price was cheap. I have been using it about 10 years now. 

Today, I stopped by the thrift store, looking for embroidery thread for a project...I saw 5 vintage wood ironing boards on top of the dumpster. I asked inside the store if I could take a look to see if there was a good one. There were several styles and sizes. One had very pretty original green legs, but there was a small broken brace....nope. There were 2 good ironing boards in the group. I selected a smallish one, that will be handy for crafting. The size is 4' long by 1' wide, and is stamped on the back 1940. Yes, I did "dumpster dive" for an ironing board....me...crazy or what? The price 99 cents! 

The photos above are from Pinterest, and see there are other uses for the things. I could just put a pretty little vintage tablecloth on it for a dessert buffet.

So, if you are looking for one of these....just ask them to save a good one for you. Otherwise, you will not get one, because they toss them. Now I need to oil the rusty metal, clean it up, paint the legs a pretty color, and make a pretty cover. I really don't need any more projects.............craZY!