SOCIAL MEDIA


Homemade Strawberry Jam

Tuesday, January 10, 2017


Today became a day to spend in the kitchen, not in the craft studio. I decided to bring more of my frozen veggies into the house, and spotted two bags of frozen strawberries that needed to be made into jam. I freeze berries because I rarely have enough fresh to make into jam. My frozen berries were not camera worthy, so this fresh pic is much better.

I find that the process of making jam to be pretty straight forward, the most important thing is to get all the necessary equipment and materials together before starting the project. 

While hubby was outdoors snow plowing the driveway...yet again. I put on my apron and went to work. 11 cups of delicious strawberry jam were made, and put into 1/2 pint jars. He finished long after I cleaned up my mess.

I am a renegade about the boiling water process for jam. I think that the result is inferior, so I used the older method. I learned to make jam with that method, and I like it better....this is before a few years ago when the new method was introduced.

I don't believe what the new "experts" say. The package of pectin said that the jam is good for only 1 year. Not true, the jam stays just fine when stored properly...in a dark and cool place. I have a cupboard in the basement the stores my home canned food, and it stays good for several years.